Get A Bird’s Eye View to Make Your Windows Safer
Posted on September 13, 2015
The good news is that there are a number of simple ways we can all reduce or eliminate mortality around our homes. Start by taking a bird’s eye view of your household windows to identify areas of particular safety concern. These include:
- Large picture windows
- Windows at rights angles to each other – they appear as a passage way for birds
- Windows with visible house plants – the plants appear as useable habitat
- Highly reflective windows – if they look reflective to you they do to birds!
- “Birdy” Areas around the house – where are they highly active and/or abundant
- Bird feeders or baths – their distance to your house can directly impact the potential for a collision. Check the Rules of thumb below for more details.
Remember that any window, no matter how big or small, can still be a problem if it reflects the surrounding habitat. So make sure to look closely and look from the bird’s perspective