Jobs and Opportunities
Position: Executive Assistant
Location: Helena, MT
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Vacation, Simple IRA w/match, Health, Dental, and Vision
About the Organization
Founded in 1976, Montana Audubon is an independent, statewide conservation organization
whose mission is to promote appreciation, knowledge and conservation of Montana’s native
birds, other wildlife, and natural ecosystems and to safeguard biological diversity for current
and future generations. In our vision for the future, we seek to create an environment in which
all of Montana’s native bird species have healthy, sustainable populations, ensured by long-
term habitat security. Montana Audubon uses bird science, conservation education and
engages in public policy work to protect our state’s incomparable wildlife and landscapes.
Summary of Position
The Executive Assistant is a permanent, professional staff position whose primary
responsibility is to assist the Executive Director in overseeing the administrative, personnel,
fundraising and business operations of the organization. The position will also oversee the
annual bird festival.
- Manages an annual fundraising calendar for the Executive Director to ensure successful
donor connections via annual appeals, timely phone calls, emails, letters/cards, and visits
based on mutually agreed upon strategy for annual giving and recognition of gifts.
- Works with staff to ensure proper grant management including proposal, reports, and
tracking of funding.
- Manage the Montana Audubon membership program including annual membership
appeals, timely renewal notices, database management and promotion.
- Provide guidance for staff responsible for the database system, data entry and gift
- Prepare mailing lists for various outreach activities including annual appeals to donors.
- Maintain a system of donor information management, including both electronic and
confidential hard copy filing systems.
- Works with the bookkeeper to review monthly revenues and reconcile bookkeeping
system and donor database reports.
- Assist the Executive Director in board management including planning quarterly
meetings, sending out board packets, updating board books, and in the preparation and
filing of board materials.
- Work with the bookkeeper to ensure all accounts payable, receivable, payroll, financial
statements are accurately completed in the agreed upon timeframe by conducting spot
checks of work, reviewing revenues/expenses, reviewing financial statements, etc.
- Works with Office Manager to ensure that general office management is smooth and
efficient, and that customer service and basic member/donor communications are handled in a courteous and timely manner.
- Creates and maintains confidential human resource files for all employees and ensures
that all necessary paperwork is on file.
- Oversee the annual bird festival including working with the Communications Specialist on
all printed materials, managing registration, arranging activities, speakers,
accommodations, meals and onsite coordination of this popular three-day event that
attracts up to 250 birdwatchers each year.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Completion of a 2-year or 4-year degree
- A combined 2+ years of professional experience in administration or related field.
- A commitment to conservation and the mission of Montana Audubon
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Proficient computer and database management skills
- Possesses an even temperament, sense of humor, ability to take direction, and
exercises good judgment and flexibility.
- Willingness and desire to be a team player within a collaborative work culture and
uniquely skilled in delegating duties to staff in a non-supervisory relationship.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights and willingness to
travel as needed.
- Experience with event planning (preferred)
- Experience with bookkeeping (preferably QuickBooks)
- Experience working with databases (preferably donor databases)
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line
“Executive Assistant”. This posting will remain open until filled with applications reviewed on a
**Montana Audubon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, creed, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation or
preference, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability or status as a U.S. veteran.